Pages

Sunday 6 September 2015

What I've been watching #8

I feel like it's not been too long at all since the last time I did one of these but y'know I'm not really doing much at home and watching films distracts me from the fact that I'm going to be leaving the comfort of my family home in just a few weeks . . . okay yeah let's just get on with it.

films, film, review, film review, fight club, rush, in his life: the john lennon story, brad pitt, helena bonham carter, john lennon, the bad education movie, jack whitehall, 48 hours,


48 HOURS (1982)

48 Hours is about a cop, played by Nick Nolte, that teams up with a criminal, played by Eddie Murphy, in order to track down a killer in 48 hours before the criminal has to be returned back to prison. 

This film was entertaining and had a few funny moments in it (as any film with Eddie Murphy inevitably would), but I don't think it was anything special so I'm not sure if I would watch it again.

THE BAD EDUCATION MOVIE (2015)
★ 1/2
The Bad Education Movie takes place on a school trip to Cornwall that teacher Alfie Wickers, played by Jack Whitehall, takes his class on. One of the first problems that arises is that student Joe's Mother invites herself so she can make sure they're not getting up to any trouble as she has some sort of vendetta against Alfie. Whilst they're in Cornwall, they meet some of Alfie's old school mates and he gets involved with a Cornish Independence group which results in trouble for Alfie.

I thought this film was really funny - if you like the series, you'll definitely like this and I think it was such a good way to end the series. I also think Jack Whitehall is  hilarious anyway, but this film had so many laugh-out-loud moments and I think it would be one I watch again once it's out on DVD.

IN HIS LIFE: THE JOHN LENNON STORY (2000)

This film is about John Lennon's life starting from his teen years following all the events up until The Beatles went on the Ed Sullivan show, such as John meeting Paul at the Woolton Parish Fete in 1957, John's relationship with his Mother, The Beatles going to Hamburg and coming into contact with Ringo Starr, John's new relationship with Cynthia, and the birth of John's first child.

I loved this, I think John's life was so interesting and I've watched so many biopics about him and I've read John by Cynthia Lennon so I knew I would like this. It's pretty historically accurate and I think the acting was pretty decent. If you liked Nowhere Boy, you would probably like this because it documents the same events (and more!). A must-watch for any Beatles fan or anyone interested in John's life. I loved how they included Cynthia in it because that was something that was missing from Nowhere Boy and I think their relationship was really interesting because they were so young and in love and all that jazz.

RUSH (2013)

Rush is a biopic based on the intense formula 1 rivalry between English James Hunt and Austrian Niki Lauda who take different approaches to racing - Hunt living every day like it's his last and being somewhat of a thrill seeker, whereas Lauda is a perfectionist and trains all the time. This tests the women in both of their lives, and the rivalry becomes stronger and stronger until it inevitably causes an accident.

I didn't actually know much about the real life story of Lauda and Hunt, but my parents were quite interested in it and she bought the DVD for my brother's birthday a while ago and we got round to watching it for my brother's movie choice. I have to admit I didn't think I was going to like it that much, don't get me wrong I enjoy watching racing sometimes but I'm a bit indifferent to the whole thing so I wasn't sure how much enjoyment I would get out of this, but it was entertaining and fast moving, and it has actually got me interested in the real life story so I'd definitely recommend giving it a watch even if you're not interested in formula 1.

FIGHT CLUB (1999)

Fight Club follows the story of an unnamed narrator who's an insomniac and is basically not in a great mental state, so he goes to support groups to help relieve this. He then meets a girl called Marla and his life becomes a little bit better. Then, he starts associating with a man called Tyler and gets dragged into an underground fight club and soap making scheme. However, trouble begins to arise when when Marla attracts Tyler's attention.

I watched this film after being recommended it so many times by my friend Lizzie (she also lent the DVD to me so thanks for that Lizzie), and I also just thought it was strange that I hadn't watched it given that I'm a bit of a film buff and this is so famous - I also just wanted some context for the 'first rule of fight club' quote. The film had some interesting themes like individualism and consumerism and it was just generally entertaining and fast moving. You can't go too wrong with Brad Pitt and Helena Bonham Carter (Edward Norton was pretty good too but I haven't really seen much with him in to compare it to). Basically, this was a good film and you should watch it - also Pixies' Where is My Mind? opens up the ending credits and I'm a big Pixies fan so that was obviously going to be a winner for me.

What films have you watched recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment