Pages

Sunday 31 August 2014

Music of the month - August 2014

Hello readers, it's that time of month where I post another 'Music of the month'. I've listened to a lot more new music than I usually do recently, probably because I'm off school and I've finally discovered the world of Spotify - yes, I have moved over from Grooveshark to Spotify (you can follow my Spotify here), therefore this post is a bit longer than my usual 'Music of the month' posts but I should be back to normal once I'm back at school as I'll be too busy letting my soul die to discover lots of new music.

1. Rude - Magic!



I first heard this song on the Dan and Phil segment of BBC Radio 1 (which was on every Sunday and along with #SuggSunday on Youtube, was one of the highlights of my Sunday but now the show has been changed up and whatnot) and I remember liking it. Then I saw on Spotify that it's the number 1 track everywhere so I listened to it again and I just cannot grow tired of this song, it's strange for me to be into a 'mainstream' song (oh God, I bet I sounded like an utter hipster, I'm not, I just generally don't like many songs in the charts)

2. On the Radio - Regina Spektor



This past month has definitely been the month of Regina Spektor for me. I had only ever listened to the odd song by her (I love 'You Don't Know Me' by Ben Folds and she sings on that, so that was my first impression of her). She reminds me a lot of Sara Bareilles' old stuff which I used to love. I think Regina has such a great voice and I love musicians who mostly use piano as their main instrument in their music (this is probably because I'm a pianist so I'm a bit biased but hey)

3. I Want to Break Free - Queen



I have loved Queen for a long long time, but I go through phases with their songs and at the moment I'm going through a phase with this song. In addition to this being an amazing song, I really like the video. It's such a fun song to sing along to, and I love the guitar solo break in the song!

4. Better - Regina Spektor



I don't really have too much to say about this song but it's fairly upbeat, and I just needed another Regina Spektor song in this post because I listened to her non-stop for the most part of the summer - she really is just phenomenal.

5. Gorilla - Bruno Mars



I listened to this song when it was released and I remembered liking it but I had forgotten about it, seeming as I've made a Spotify account though I've gone and re-listened to a bunch of songs I used to like and honestly I've been listening to Bruno Mars' most recent album a hell of a lot which is weird because I never really rated him much. I have a friend who is really into him so she raved on about him and I guess I never saw what was rave-worthy about him, but he is such a good musician and performer and I think this song is really catchy.

6. Left Hand Free - Alt-J


I've loved Alt-J for a while now but I hadn't heard this song until someone I follow on tumblr reblogged it and I always try to make a habit of listening to all of or most of the songs reblogged onto my dashboard as I follow some really cool people who listen to awesome music, so I listened to this and my first thought was that this doesn't sound anything like Alt-J but I still really like it. I'm not sure what I'd compare it to, it's a bit like Arctic Monkeys and I love them so that could be why I like this.

7. Easy Money - Johnny Marr


I don't know whether this has come across on my blog before but if you follow my tumblr, twitter or instagram (cheeky self promo), you'll probably know I adore The Smiths and I think both Morrissey and Johnny Marr are incredibly talented human beings. I listened to Johnny Marr's last album and didn't think much of it (I reckon they're growers), so when I heard he had released a new single I wasn't particularly fussed but when I listened to it it just stuck to me, it's really catchy, the guitar part is amazing, and I'd probably be lying if I said I hadn't listened to it about fifty times since it came out - I'm very much looking forward to his new album now.

8. Stop the World I Wanna Get Off With You - Arctic Monkeys


I heard this song a while ago when it came out but with Arctic Monkeys I go through phases of their songs so I suppose I'm going through a phase with this one at the moment, I think it can be seen as quite a romantic song (Alex Turner - you can hide behind that leather jacket and your sunglasses but we all know you're a big softie), I'm also not sure but I think there may be a double meaning because 'get off' could be seen from two points of view I think - thoughts?

9. Arabella - Arctic Monkeys


Again, this isn't really a new song but it's one that I've rediscovered and just been listening to a hell of a lot. I think the whole AM album is amazing, although I think most Arctic Monkeys albums are evenly matched and it's hard to pick out one and say it's the best (but I think 'Favourite Worst Nightmare' possibly sticks out a tiny bit more for me)

10. Apres Moi - Regina Spektor


As I said before, I've been listening to a hell of a lot of Regina Spektor this month, I just think she's incredible, so it was very hard for me not to just put thirty Regina Spektor songs for this month's edition of 'Music of the month', I quite like this song because she sounds very passionate whilst she's singing it and she generally performs quite well, I won't try and figure out what the song means because from looking up the song meaning it has caused a fair bit of controversy.

Thanks for reading about my favourite music this month!

What music have you been loving this month?

1 comment:

  1. Nice post!
    Keep in touch
    xx
    Antonella :)
    beautylove7694.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete