Pages

Saturday 28 February 2015

Music of the month - February 2015

It was really hard for me to narrow down February's edition of Music of the month, I think during half-term I discovered a lot of new music on Spotify (which you can follow me on here if you want) so I have a few honorary mentions at the end of the post.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

1. Sugar - Maroon 5

I used to really really like Maroon 5, Songs About Jane is such a good album and to be honest over recent years I've just went off them. I still think they're better than a lot of mainstream artists out there* but goddamn they do some catchy songs, and Sugar is one of them. It's pretty cheesy, the video's pretty cheesy, but it's a lot of fun and I like it.

2. Modern Jesus - Portugal. The Man

I had never heard of Portugal. The Man but Spotify is a beautiful device, half the things I listen to now are Spotify discoveries. I would describe it as alternative, it's a little bit rock-y but not extremely. The actual music isn't particularly inventive but I do quite like the lyrics.

3. Sweatpants - Childish Gambino

Where has Childish Gambino been all my life? He's a bit like Drake 2.0, sorry not sorry, I never really got into Drake, but Childish Gambino is really sweet and chilled and I just like this song because it makes me feel badass saying 'don't be mad 'cause I'm doing me better than you doing you' - seriously just say that a few times whilst picturing someone you don't like and I guarantee you'll feel hella badass.

4. Here Comes Your Man - Pixies

Pixies are a group I had listened to in the past but I hadn't heard much, however after reading and re-watching High Fidelity I decided to listen to the music mentioned in the book and the film, one of which being this song. It sounds a little bit Beatle-esque with the guitar and it's pretty catchy too, have to say Pixies have become a bit of a new obsession!

5. For Tomorrow - Blur

Blur are most definitely not new to me but I hadn't listened to this song. Modern Life is Rubbish is a bit of an ignored album for me, it's not that it's bad, I just haven't really properly sat down and listened to it, I still haven't but I think I saw someone reblog this song on Tumblr so I listened to it and just really liked it. Blur are one of my favourite bands (although I'm part of the small population that likes Blur and Oasis.. weird right?) - this song is super catchy, plus whilst I'm on the subject of Blur, I really love their new single Go Out which is going to be on their new album The Magic Whip, although it sounds a bit like Oasis in my opinion which is an odd musical direction for Blur to go in.

Honary mentions go to Hozier, My Chemical Romance, The Clash, and a last minute addition is Fyfe - Fyfe may make it into next month but I literally only just discovered him a couple of days before putting up this post so sorry Fyfe, you didn't make the cut.

What have been your favourite songs this month?

*Hipster alert

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

8 comments:

  1. Ahhh someone else who loves Childish Gambino! Sweatpants is one of my running songs. I'm obsessed with his music and have been for like a year :D I think Heartbeat and 3005 have to be faves alongside Sweatpants :)
    I am currently singing along to Maroon 5's Sugar as well, so catchy!

    Katie || K NEL xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i loooove 3005, but i'll give heartbeat a listen - thanks for commenting :-)

      Delete
  2. I'm addicted to Maroon5 Sugar... I literally have it on repeat for an hour at a time! Fab pick x

    Lucy
    Prettlittlethingsmcr.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Childish Gambino is just absolutely brilliant. The entire because the internet album is amazing and at least one song is played every day by me. He's also a comedian and is equally good at that as he is rapping ;)

    Chantel Dione | fashion, beauty, music & life
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know right! he's just brilliant on so many levels!

      Delete
  4. I've been looking for new music suggestions so this post is great! I love Childish Gambino & Hozier, and that Maroon 5 song is always stuck in my head :)
    Thanks for sharing you link in the #bbloggers chat tonight!
    Maeve // Thrift O'Clock

    ReplyDelete