Pages

Friday 31 July 2015

The July mix-tape

This month actually involved me listening to current music, but couldn't hold back from a bit of Macca . . . read on to see what I'm on about.

music, music of the month, mika, selena gomez, bills, lunchmoney lewis, a$ap rocky, ronan keating, burt bacharach, wings, paul mccartney


1. Oh Girl You're The Devil - Mika
I discovered this song whilst looking for songs to put in 'the Satanic songlist' for my holiday and as this song had the word 'devil' in the title, it was inevitable I was going to find it. I used to love Mika when I was younger but I hadn't listened to him for ages, and I just fell in love with this song. It's got a nice syncopated piano backing and some rad harmonies in the backing vocals, it's just basically been stuck in my head for the whole month.

2. Good for You - Selena Gomez ft. A$AP Rocky
I've never been a massive Selena Gomez fan, I'm not sure if it's because she's just a bit meh in terms of vocal ability or if it's because I was a belieber when I was 14 and I have some sort of pent up rage at the fact that she got to date Justin and I didn't*, but I decided to give this song a listen after seeing some people talking about it on Twitter. It's a bit Lana Del Rey-esque, and I think that style of music is definitely something she should look into because it suits her voice quite well.

3. Bills - Lunchmoney Lewis
I heard this song on a Spotify advert and immediately typed in the lyrics into Google to find out what the song was. This song is one hell of a toe-tapper, it may not have the most meaningful lyrics but it's been stuck in my head for the most part of the month - although I'm certain this isn't going to become one of my favourite songs, it's just very catchy.

4. My Little Red Book - Ronan Keating
I've actually been listening to both the Manfred Mann and Ronan Keating version of this song, I think Burt Bacharach writes some great great stuff and this has been stuck in my head since I decided to watch High Fidelity again, as this song is used nearer the end of the film and it's one I hadn't picked up on when watching the film before. Burt Bacharach just writes some amazing stuff and the instrumentation and the harmonies in the backing vocals in the Ronan Keating version is amazing (any song with a brass section will win my heart over) but the actual music is good so I quite like the Manfred Mann version too.

5. Silly Love Songs - Wings
I've loved this song for years like I am quite invested in the works of Paul McCartney whether it be The Beatles, solo work, or Wings. I've always classed this as a very good song, but it came up on my Spotify shuffle and I hadn't listened to it in a while, and I was doing a whole lying-in-the-dark-listening-to-music-dealy and I just realised quite how amazing it is. I quite like the lyrics, the instrumentation, and Paul McCartney's sweet voice.

What music have you been listening to this month?

*I actually never hated Selena during my belieber phase, okay I wasn't an insane fangirl

No comments:

Post a Comment