Pages

Saturday 24 January 2015

Book review - How to Build a Girl by Caitlin Moran

I am a complete and utter failure.
Well maybe not a complete failure, but I haven't done a book review on here since October so in the book review department, so I'm not doing too well. However, for my 2015 reading challenge on Goodreads I am aiming to read 50 books so hopefully you'll see a lot more book reviews on here over the next year. 

I've wanted to read How to Build a Girl for ages because the author, Caitlin Moran, is an open, opinionated feminist and when I read the synopsis of this book on Amazon, I just knew that it was something I had to read. Luckily, I received it for my birthday but I've only just gotten round to reading it.


Synopsis:

It's 1990. Johanna Morrigan, 14, has shamed herself so badly on local TV that she decides that there's no point in being Johanna anymore and reinvents herself as Dolly Wilde - fast-talking, hard-drinking Gothic hero and full-time Lady Sex Adventurer! She will save her poverty stricken Bohemian family by becoming a writer - like Jo in Little Women, or the Brontes - but without the dying young bit. Imagine The Bell Jar written by Rizzo from Grease, with a soundtrack by My Bloody Valentine and Happy Mondays. As beautiful as it is funny, How To Build a Girl is a brilliant coming-of-age novel in DMs and ripped tights, that captures perfectly the terror and joy of trying to discover exactly who it is you are going to be.

My thoughts:

I really enjoyed this book at the beginning when Johanna was a fourteen year old living in post-Thatcher Wolverhampton in a council house, what I loved about the post-Thatcher aspect of the book was that all the characters in it are clear lefties so it was nice to read about characters who hated Margaret Thatcher as much as I do (clearly hate is the pathway to love). Johanna starts off as a somewhat irritating character in that she wants to be someone who she's not, so she's a bit like a pretentious hipster, however I don't think that all characters should be likable in a book and to dislike a book on the basis that the main character isn't likeable is silly, not all people are likable, why should all book characters be? 

I enjoyed all of the musical references in the book, The Beatles and The Smiths came up quite a fair bit, I know it may seem sad but when they're mentioned in books or TV shows my heart does a little flip so y'know it was nice to have that in this book.

I feel like the beginning and the end of the book are very different, and I preferred the first half because in the second half there was so much talk of sex and I'm not a prude y'know I'm all about the frick frack but preferably not in vivid detail and when I'm reading it in school and have invasive friends looking over my shoulders, I think I'm just a bit awkward, like Miranda, when it comes to reading about sex in books.

Overall rating:

I gave this a 4/5 on Goodreads, I did feel there was a bit too much of the sexy times for my liking but  I quite liked the way the book ended, and I can imagine a really good film being adapted from this too which is hard to do with some books.

Have you read How to Build a Girl?

8 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read this for ages but haven't got around to buying it yet, pleased to see another good review though! Definitely need to put it on my 'to read' list for this year!

    Megan // Lazy Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. worth a read, don't think i've seen a bad review of it yet!

      Delete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of this book but now, after reading your review, I want to read it as my 2015 Reading Challenge. Thank you for writing this post, hopefully I find the book just as good.
    Emily
    http://dreamuphappiness.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. i actually didn't like this book at all, i had to return it haha!

    xx danielle // shades of danielle // bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah i can see why some people wouldn't like it, there were some parts which i found a bit dull and hard to read

      Delete
  4. I've heard quite a bit about this book, but whenever I'm shopping around I end up choosing another one in its stead. I think after reading Not That Kind Of Girl by Lena Dunham I was like "that's enough memoirs for me for now". I'm glad I didn't pick it up because sometimes too much talk of frick frack makes me wonder why there's so much - is it because you couldn't find another way to fill the pages?? Ha.

    And by the way, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check out the guidelines and questions here. If the Liebster Award is about discovering new blogs and I'm glad I discovered you! :) x

    Ornella @ EUHNELLA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah i've heard a lot of good things about lena dunham's book, this book is only partial memoir though but all the frick frack is a bit uncomfortable so i'd understand not wanting to read that!

      Delete