Pages

Sunday 29 June 2014

Music of the month - June 2014

Hello there readers, I hope you're all well!!
This post in the beginning of a new installation on this blog, which as you can see by the title, it is called 'music of the month'. I think it's fairly explanatory what this series will consist of but just in case you want a breakdown I'll just explain what I intend to do.

On my old blog I used to do a segment called 'music Monday' and I would do this on any random Monday whenever I felt like I hadn't posted anything in a while or if I had some new music that I wanted to talk about, it was one of my favourite types of post to do so I thought it would be something fun to bring onto this blog. It is essentially a non-beauty favourites type of post that is entirely focused on music, if you don't know I am quite pretentious when it comes to my taste in music. I was raised by parents who are pretentious when it comes to music so it was quite inevitable, this means that music is a massive part of my life (including the fact that I'm a musician but that's irrelevant) and I sometimes feel a little blue that I don't have many friends who share my taste in music, up until the last year or two I had no friends who shared my taste in music but over the past year I have met some cooler people. Anyway before this turns into the most rambly post ever, I am going to share with you my favourite songs of the month of June (in no particular order):

1. Honey - Swim Deep



I'm quite late on the bandwagon, I have a couple of friends who quite like them but it was this song that got me into them. Someone reblogged this on tumblr so I listened to it, then I proceeded to listen to everything they've ever done. This song is so catchy and the overall message of the song is quite positive, I love listening to Swim Deep when I'm doing work because they're quite chilled and relaxed and I am able to concentrate on what I'm doing whilst having fun which is pretty cool

2. King City - Swim Deep



I listened to this song for the first time about half a year ago, I remember liking it but not thinking much of it but after listening to Honey and loving it, I listened to practically everything Swim Deep has ever done and this made it up into the rankings this month. It's catchy and fun, it's still fairly relaxed (in comparison to some of things I listen to) but you could also get up and dance to it (if I danced, which I don't, imagine Hugh Grant dancing in Love Actually and there you have an accurate representation of how I dance), but this is a really good song - I promise this is the last of Swim Deep in this month's post!!

3. Charmless Man - Blur



I am ridiculously late on listening to Blur, I had obviously heard Song 2 and it was one of my favourites from when I was younger although I didn't know it was by them (it is also known as the 'woohoo' song..) but other than that I never really tried Blur, since the dawn of the 90s it has been Oasis versus Blur so seeming as I liked Oasis so much I felt like I wasn't allowed to like Blur hence I never listened to them. However my Dad really likes Blur, and my brother is getting to that age where his music taste is becoming quite mature - he's 14 this year and his favourite bands at the moment are Blur, the Style Council, the Jam, and he also likes a few Morrissey songs which myself, my Dad and my Mum are quite chuffed about. Anyway, whilst having a Britpop argument with my brother (he does actually like Oasis though) he made me listen to this song, and it's just so catchy. My first thoughts were 'is this a direct reference to The Smiths?' which caught my eye, but the actual song is really good, and honestly I've listened to Blur a lot more since discovering this song - I'm part of the small population that likes Oasis and Blur, if you are as well please comment down below so I know I'm not alone!!

4. Whatever - Oasis



Is putting an Oasis song straight after a Blur song a little insensitive to the die hard Blur or Oasis fans who refuse to have anything to do with the other band? Maybe, but that's called living life on the edge. I've loved Oasis for a long time, obviously I wasn't really around when their songs were released for the first time and they're a band I had to research into and all that jazz, but I hadn't heard this song before and I think it's so relaxed and I think the message is quite reassuring at the moment because I'm in my first year of sixth form, picking universities, choosing courses and deciding what to do for the rest of my life - it can all be very stressful, if you've been there then well done for coming out the other side, if you're about to come to this stage I wish you luck, live long and prosper my young friends. Anyway, this song chills me out whenever I feel anxious about all of this future-deciding-existential-crisis-invoking-decisions is brought up, I think it can also be applied to when you're feeling generally sad - 'I'll sing the blues if I want', if you are sad then you shouldn't have to put on a happy face (I watched a video by Carrie Fletcher recently who discussed this if you want to go and watch her videos). Anyway, that's enough rambling for one song.

5. Cancer - My Chemical Romance



Blast from the past anyone? A part of my life which I tend not to tell people is that I was once a massive wannabe scene kid, I dressed in all black, listening to My Chemical Romance and Paramore all the time and wore heavy black eyeshadow (at home that is, my Mum used to make me take it all off before leaving the house - thanks for that one Mum even though it annoyed me at the time). Anyway, I've rediscovered these bands and I've really been enjoying them, especially this one because this wasn't one of my most listened songs when I was younger so I never overplayed it to the point where I disliked it.

Thanks for reading!

What songs have you been loving this month?


3 comments:

  1. I've never listened to any of these songs, definitely going to have to check them out now
    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post,love!
    Would you mind checking out my blog,and following if you like it?
    xoxo Antonella!

    ReplyDelete