Pages

Monday 20 April 2015

What I've been watching #3


So I haven't been binge watching films so much now that I'm back at school and have actually had mock exams, but I have watched a few films since the last one of these posts I did so lemme update y'all. You can also follow me on Letterboxd to see what films I rewatch as well :-)Light of Day, Bride Wars, Blade Runner, The Omen III, Into The Woods

LIGHT OF DAY (1987)

★★★★ 1/2

Light of Day is the story of two siblings - Joe, played by Michael J. Fox, and Patti, played by Joan Jett. They're both in a rock band, and it's set in Ohio. Patti is an unmarried Mother and she's got a pretty stormy relationship with her Mum who's deeply religious and generally doesn't agree with anything she does. Patti lives separately from her parents and generally struggles to make ends meet but she's still sticking to the path of the rock lifestyle. Joe pulls away from this lifestyle to look after Patti's son, Benji, and it takes a family crisis to try and mend this dysfunctional family.

I loved this film. I knew I would at least get some enjoyment out of it because it's Michael J. Fox and Joan Jett, Michael J. Fox is one of my all time favourite actors, Joan Jett is generally badass and I love the Runaways, plus it's an 80s film and I generally get along pretty well with them. Unlike my other reviews of 80s films, I don't actually think this was all that cheesy. I really enjoyed the sibling relationship aspect because it's not something you massively see in films, and the actual storyline was quite original. I thought both Michael J. Fox and Joan Jett were convincing in their characters, and I just thought it was really really good.

BRIDE WARS (2009)

★★★★

Bride wars is the story of two best girls, Liv and Emma, who've been best friends since they were little and have been dreaming of the perfect wedding since then - they've both dreamt of the same wedding location which causes a problem when they have a clash in wedding dates, and as a result their friendship breaks down.

I have quite a few friends who really like this film and to be honest, even though I do quite like Anne Hathaway, this just didn't really appeal to me. It seemed like a very generic film, and don't get me wrong I love cheesy films but if there's not some sort of eye candy (usually of the Hugh Grant, Colin Firth, variety) my interest wavers, but I decided to give this a go because the full film was on YouTube, and I did actually quite like it. It was pretty funny and a bit cheesy in that it all works out in the end, but that's just my cynical side coming out and expecting everything to end terribly like in real life (or is it just me that happens to?) The story is actually quite different from anything I've watched before and it's a film I can imagine watching again and again for a bit of light entertainment.

BLADE RUNNER (1982)

★★★★ 1/2

It's 2019, humans have genetically engineered Replicants, which are like humans (but they're really artificial intelligence) designed for labour and entertainment purposes. They're illegal on earth, and they have to be hunted down and killed by blade runners. Our protagonist, Deckard, is a retired blade runner but he's forced to re-enter the force when four Replicants escape from an off-world colony to Earth.

I've wanted to watch this film for quite a while for several reasons: we study artificial intelligence in Philosophy and our teacher recommended it (plus artificial intelligence is such an interesting topic like it's genuinely fun to write an essay on artificial Turing), my brother and my Dad both liked it, and what can I say, I like 80s films and sci-fi. This was my brother's movie choice and we actually watched the Director's Cut which is quite different to the original from what I gather. I really enjoyed this, it didn't really have a dull moment in it, it was based around a very interesting topic, and the ending was good (in the words of River Song: spoilers!)

THE OMEN III (1981)

★★★★

In the third installment of The Omen, Damien is now an adult and he's appointed as United States Ambassador to Britain. However, the priests are out to kill him as he's kinda y'know the spawn of Satan. The film follows the attempts on his life, and a lot of spooky happenings occur as a result of Damien's powers.

This was chosen for my Mum's movie choice as she chose the first two as previous movie choices, I don't know whether it's just the better production value but I think this is better than the first two (or at least the second one, it definitely rivals the first). This one I found genuinely spooky whereas the other two just weren't scary (not that I get scared by films, but there were parts in this which made me jump). I thought this was a great end to the story, and even though I think watching the first two would be helpful if you wanted to watch this, I think it works as a standalone film and if you like more 'classic' horror then this will be right up your street.

INTO THE WOODS (2014)

★★★★

This is a film which combines Cinderella, Rapunzel, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Red Riding Hood. The story focuses on a baker and his wife, and they get a curse put on them resulting on them being childless. However, the witch who put the curse on them was once beautiful and will reverse the curse if they help her become beautiful again by finding some different ingredients - it just so happens that the ingredients they need are different items from each fairytale.

I quite enjoyed watching this, the songs were pretty decent and I enjoyed the characterisation. Plus, it was nice to see a darker twist on some of the fairytales to try and bring it closer to the original Brothers Grimm tales without it traumatising children. Also, James Corden is just great on so many levels.

What films would you recommend?

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment