Pages

Thursday 9 April 2015

What I've been watching #2

I didn't mean to come out with another one of these posts as soon as it is, but I've watched quite a few films as I've been off school and they've been a bit of a treat for me at the end of the day when I'm revising, but in future I doubt there'll be two of these posts in the space of 5 days! As you'll be able to tell, I've been having a bit of an 80s/John Cusack moment although I've loved 80s films for quite a long time so it's not that out of the ordinary,  but I've just been watching a lot of them recently so here's one for the oldies who are reading.

Also, if you want to keep up to date with what films I'm watching (including rewatches because I'm not including them in these posts) then feel free to follow me on Letterboxd!



SAY ANYTHING (1989)

★★★★

Say Anything is a film about a kid called Lloyd who, to the surprise of everyone around him, starts dating this girl called Diane who is basically perfect in regards to looks and grades, and she actually likes him back. Problems start to occur when Diane's possessive father doesn't approve and pressures her to break up with him.

I quite liked this film, although I think that's because I've managed to develop an intense crush on John Cusack. It's a bit cheesy but enjoyable nonetheless, and worth a watch if you enjoy light hearted rom-coms, plus the iconic John Cusack standing outside holding up a stereo scene is in this film so if you just want to get that reference then it's worth a watch. (I personally think watching John Cusack's face for an hour and a half is more than enough reason to watch a film, but y'know each to their own)

TEEN WOLF (1985)

★★★★

Teen Wolf is a film about a teenager called Scott who learns that being a werewolf runs in his family, and it affects him and his Father. Initially he's a little bit alarmed by this, (I mean, you would be wouldn't you?) he ends up taking advantage of this to become popular. He becomes the school basketball star and gains the interest of Pamela, a popular girl who he has a crush on. However, after a while he starts to feel he's becoming a novelty and not being liked for who he really is.

This film may not be epic but I quite enjoyed it. Maybe it's because it's a cheesy 80s film and I quite like them, maybe it's because Michael J. Fox is in it and I think he's brilliant (seriously, after watching Back to the Future for the first time I had a bit of an obsession with him). It was enjoyable and a bit of fun, but not really one that'll change your life unless you're going through a lycanthropic experience.

LOLITA (1997)

★★★★

Lolita is an adaptation of a book by Vladimir Nabokov about a man called Humbert Humbert who, whilst in the US to teach, looks for a room in a house to rent. He goes to Charlotte Haze's house and decides to rent it only after seeing her 14 year old daughter, Dolores, who he has an immediate attraction to as a result of past trauma in his life where his teenage sweetheart died. To stay around Dolores, he married Charlotte. As you'd expect, problems arise for Humbert as he's more attracted to Dolores than Charlotte.

I know you're probably ridiculously creeped out by that synopsis, but I do find stories like this pretty interesting. I loved the book which I actually read a few years ago, and I liked the 1962 film but I've wanted to watch this adaptation for ages because for a lot of people this is the definitive version. It's definitely a lot more risque than the 1962 version, let's say Stanley Kubrick left a lot to the imagination whereas in this one it's all very clear cut and you know exactly what's going on. I'm not sure whether I preferred that or not, obviously it makes you feel a lot more uncomfortable, but I think that's good as to avoid romanticisation of this abusive relationship (seriously, the amount of people who romanticise Lolita shocks me). I think it was very fast moving and was fairly true to the book, although both the 1962 and this version miss out the details of Humbert's first wife and his experiences in Paris. I think the part of Dolores was better cast in this because she does actually look the right age for the part whereas in the 1962 version she didn't look young enough to play the part which means you don't really see how sick the relationship is (well as much, if you're unable to see that a relationship between a young girl and her stepfather is wrong then y'know you're probably a bit beyond help). However, I think I did prefer Peter Sellers as Humbert Humbert rather than Jeremy Irons. I'm not sure what it is, but Jeremy Irons still did a fairly good job. I'd recommend this if you're quite interested in psychology and abusive relationships, but if you're not then you'll probably just be a bit (or a lot) creeped out by this.

BETTER OFF DEAD (1985)

★★★★ 1/2

Better Off Dead is the story of a teenage boy called Lane Meyer who has a strange family (oh my God the food his Mum makes was utterly ridiculous) and he's kind of obsessed with his girlfriend, Beth. When Beth breaks up with Lane and starts dating the popular kid in school (the ski jock.. yeah that's a thing) , he overreacts just a tad and tries to kill himself multiple times. However, Lane then becomes friends with the French exchange student Monique, and to try and earn some kind of redemption, Lane challenges Beth's new beau on the ski slopes.

I know that synopsis makes this film sound utterly terrible, but I actually found it hilarious. It's a very family friendly film, and I found myself laughing an immense amount. I may be a little biased as John Cusack is in it and he looks gorgeous, but this film had the Cusack comedic charm and was generally just a very funny family film. It's very cheesy, but still very funny, and it's one I'd definitely watch again.

DR. HORRIBLE'S SING-ALONG BLOG (2008)

★★★★

Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog is the story of an aspiring super-villain who has a video blog, and has been attempting to make it into the Evil League of Evil. However, his plans are always foiled by the egotistical Captain Hammer. When Dr. Horrible develops a crush on a girl called Penny, who falls for Captain Hammer, Dr. Horrible's life is thrown a little bit off the rails.

My friend really loves this film, although I'm not even sure if it counts as a film because it's under an hour, but it's on Letterboxd so I'm counting it as a film. I can't even express how good it was. It was really funny - I mean it had Neil Patrick Harris in it, how wrong can you go? The songs were really good, and it didn't have a single moment of dullness. Without spoiling anything, the ending will leave you hanging on for more (luckily, there's a sequel coming out soon)

What films would you recommend?

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment