Pages

Sunday 5 April 2015

What I've been watching #1

I'm not sure if I've mentioned it before but I am a pretty big film enthusiast, like as in it's one of the things I pride myself on (hence why I'm one of the few people in the world with a Letterboxd account), so I thought I would start a new series here on 'fashion, beauty and an existential crisis' whereby I tell you the films I have watched recently (not including rewatches, because otherwise we'd probably see the Back to the Future trilogy an excessive number of times). 

Just another fun fact, every Saturday for about the past 9 years (give or take a few Saturdays if we've been busy or whatever), me and my family have watched a film together. We alternate in whose choice it is, but this means I watch quite a lot of films from all genres and eras so there could be an odd mix here!

weird science, almost famous, mississippi masala, coalition, grosse pointe blank, 80s, john cusack, films, movie,

WEIRD SCIENCE (1985)

★ 1/2

So Weird Science is about a couple of unpopular, pubescent boys (one of which is Anthony Michael Hall who plays the adorable Brian from The Breakfast Club) who try and create the perfect woman on the computer and she comes to life, then she tries to make them cool and take down the school bullies, but obviously they have to keep her a secret as well because that's how all of these type of films work out.

I'm a massive fan of the Brat Pack films and strangely I hadn't seen this one, it's in the DVD collection with The Breakfast Club and I've seen The Breakfast Club countless times knowing I had Weird Science with it but I never bothered to watch it before, because frankly it looked crap. After watching it, I can conclude that it is crap. However, it's a nice kind of crap, the kind of 80s crap that's so crappy you can laugh at it, which is why I gave it a 3.5/5 rating. It's light hearted and a bit of fun, worth a watch if you like cheesy 80s movies.

ALMOST FAMOUS (2000)

★ 1/2

Almost Famous is the semi-autobiographical story of Cameron Crowe, although his character is called William who's only a teenager, and he's pretty interested in music despite his Mother's opposition to the whole sex, drugs and rock'n'roll scene. It's set in the 70s, and long story short he ends up being asked to do an article for Rolling Stone interviewing a band called Stillwater. He becomes pretty close to a girl called Penny Lane (not her actual name) who isn't a roadie, but a 'band aid' (basically a roadie), and the movie essentially focuses around his new relationship with this girl and his desperation to get this interview with this temperamental band.

I've wanted to watch this for a while because it's one of my close friend's favourite films, plus it came in the box set with The Runaways in it so it's been available for me to watch for a while. I chose this as my movie choice last week although my brother didn't feel well enough to partake, my parents seemed to like it though. It's a funny coming-of-age story and the soundtrack is pretty rad, again it's pretty light hearted and just pretty darn enjoyable.

MISSISSIPPI MASALA (1991)


Mississippi Masala is the story of a girl called Mina who comes from an Indian family, and her family is moved out of Uganda by a dictator and they end up living in Mississippi. Mina falls in love with a guy called Demetrius who is black, so his family and Mina's family aren't happy with the interracial relationship going on. This causes a feud between both families and the community around them, and the film basically focuses around this idea of interracial relationships.

This film was suggested to me by a friend because we had a long chat about general racism in the world (sort of inevitable with me, you've got to be ready to talk about this if you want to invest time in me) and she said I had to watch this because it's a good commentary on racism and prejudice between cultures, and I'd completely agree. It was a different perspective to the usual black and white interracial relationships because it was an Indian and black interracial relationship. It was generally really good and I think well worth a watch, it wasn't complicated and plus Denzel Washington is a bit of eye candy so it's a good all rounder.

COALITION (2015)


Coalition is a TV movie depicting the May 2010 General Election in Britain and the leadup to the Con-Dem coalition. It's mostly done in Nick Clegg's perspective showing how great Nick was doing in all the debates and everything before the election and then the disappointment at the lack of Lib-Dem support come election time, and then the choice for Nick Clegg as to whether to side with the Tories or the Labour party. 

You may think as an avid Labour supporter that this would be an incredibly depressing film to watch. You'd be right. I had to live through this and I remember, even as a 13 year old, how depressing it was at the time*. However, the adverts for this looked really good so I thought I'd give it a go. The whole film has you feeling sorry for Nick Clegg. Seriously, when it ended I spent a good 20 minutes thinking about how bad Nick Clegg must feel on a daily basis, then I snapped out of it and realised that it was his fault for siding with the Tories. Y'know, siding with the Tories was never gonna be a good move. It was a pretty anti-Tory production but it wasn't particularly pro-Labour, in fact Gordon Brown was barely in it. It was well made and enjoyable, but I think unless you're interested in politics and prepared for an hour and a half of feeling sorry for Nick Clegg, this won't be for you.

GROSSE POINTE BLANK (1997)


Grosse Pointe Blank is the story of a hitman called Martin who fails an assignment so he decides to go back to his home town for his 10 year school reunion. He decides to go meet up with a girl called Debi who was an old girlfriend who he actually stood up at the Prom so as you can imagine she was a little reluctant to get close to him again. Whilst in town, a rival hit man starts to hound him, and Martin's secretary sets a hit up for him but he starts to reconsider his life as a hitman. 

This was my Dad's movie choice yesterday and I loved it. I don't know whether I just enjoy John Cusack.. Okay, I know for a fact I love John Cusack. He's hilarious and he's pretty attractive, don't deny it you know it's true.. maybe not in Being John Malkovich though (which is also great). This film was really funny, plus Dan Akyroyd played the rival hitman and he's also pretty good comic relief. The soundtrack to this was the bomb.com too, had The Violent Femmes, Pixies, The Cure, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Specials, and many more - seriously great, great stuff. I just love John Cusack, I'm waiting for the day where I watch a film with him in that I don't like because he's just brilliant.

What films have you watched recently?

*I've been a Labour supporter ever since I can remember. Indoctrinated by my parents? Perhaps, but I'm glad I was indoctrinated with Left-Wing politics as opposed to Right-Wing politics.

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment