Pages

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Music of the month - December 2014

Here it is, the last 'music of the month' post...
until next year.
I tried not to make this month's edition completely Christmas songs although that is 98% of what I've been listening to.

1. Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars


I have a feeling that this has been everyone's favourite song this month. I have a friend who has been a fan of Bruno Mars since he first hit the charts and she suggested this song to me, and I was hooked from the first time I listened to it. It's so upbeat and fun, I like Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars but I honestly didn't expect this song to be that good and I was genuinely impressed.

2. Black Ballerina - Ariel Pink


I can't remember how I came across Ariel Pink, and I don't think you'll like his music if you're not into more alternative, quirky music. This is a very random song but I really like it and I've listened to it a lot.

3. Blank Space - Taylor Swift


When I heard that Taylor Swift had removed her music from Spotify, I was a bit annoyed and I refused to listen to her new songs to make some sort of protest, but I gave in and listened to Blank Space when the video came out and it's such a good pop song. I've heard a few other songs from the album (I haven't bought it yet though, yeah I know a bit late..) and I'm quite blown away. I loved Taylor Swift when she came out with Love Story when I was about 12 (I distinctly remember making a dance for it with some of my friends.. yeah that happened) but I slowly went off her as her music became a bit too samey for me, but this album is genuinely a good'un from what I've heard.

4. Runs in the Family - Amanda Palmer


What initially introduced my to Amanda Palmer was the fact that she had worked with Ben Folds before, Ben Folds has a permanent space in my favourite all-time artists (and bands if you include Ben Folds Five), and she does sound very Ben Folds-esque with the heavy piano.

5. The Passenger - Siouxsie and the Banshees


I think I had heard of Siouxsie and the Banshees through Tumblr but I hadn't ever really listened to them, but I decided to give them a go so I went to Spotify and listened to their top track which was this, and I think the instrumentation is great, and it sounds a little bit like The Smiths. Coincidentally, Siouxsie featured on a Morrissey song so I listened to that too and I think that made me love Siouxsie Sioux that much more.

I also have to give credit to Fairytale of New York by The Pogues because that has been my top Christmas song this year.

What music have you been listening to this month?

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

2 comments:

  1. I love Taylor Swifts so the fact that you have a song on here from her album makes me really happy, the fact that she removed her music from spottily didn't annoy me much because I have all of her albums lol but great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to buy her albums on CD haha, thanks! :-)

      Delete