Pages

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Music of the month - March 2015


1. SAVAGES - MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS

Marina Diamandis is so so talented, her ironic poppy style in the Electra Heart era is what really drew me in so when she started releasing singles for her new Froot album, I was very excited to hear what she had on offer. I do like the singles she's released, don't get me wrong, but besides from Forget, they were all very different from what I had liked from in her the past. When the rest of the Froot album came out, I was really surprised that I loved the songs on the album that weren't singles as usually the singles from an album are my favourite. Savages is a quite a good pop song with a strong social message - you gotta love that.

2. SOMETHING TO TALK ABOUT - BADLY DRAWN BOY

This isn't a new a song to me but it is a rediscovery. As you may know if you read my review of the book, I read and rewatched About a Boy, and I've been listening the soundtrack an unhealthy amount since then. This song has been constantly stuck in my head, I'm not sure if it's my favourite on the soundtrack but it's definitely been the one that I've had stuck in my head most.

3. CELEBRITY SKIN - HOLE

Hole isn't a new band to me but they are one that I dismissed a while ago and never really got into. I've always had this conception that you choose either Nirvana or Hole, and I chose Cobain over Love. I'm not sure what it is that made me give them another go, but I did and they are a really good grunge band. This is probably my favourite song by them but I do really enjoy the whole Celebrity Skin album, it's a bit grungey, a bit rocky, and the group is mostly made up of women which is great because I don't know a lot of girl rock bands and I'd really like to because girls are awesome.

4. BIRDHOUSE IN YOUR SOUL - THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS

A big thing has happened this month, I have discovered a new favourite band. By that, I meant they're in the top ten but that is a big thing for someone who is as obsessed with music as I am. That band is They Might Be Giants. I discovered them through listening to a playlist and I have gone forth to listen to most of their discography, they've been together for quite a long time so I'm still not all the way through but oh Kanye where have these people been all my life?

If I had to put them into a category, it would be alternative rock. They're quite similar to Ben Folds Five (who I love and you'll know that if you've read this post) so they're definitely worth a listen. It was hard for me to pick just one song by them but I do really like this one, if you want to see what I'm listening to though you can always just follow me on Spotify to get updates!

5. DEBBIE DOWNER - COURTNEY BARNETT

Courtney Barnett is a fairly new musician to me (like as in the past couple of months) but she is really great, she reminds me a little bit of Hole actually. She came out with a new album in the past week and I listened to the whole thing in the morning before school one morning and I just really liked this song, the lyrics and the hook are really catchy - she's definitely an artist who deserves a bit more recognition! Other favourites on the album are Pedestrian at Best (which I actually loved when it was released as a single before the entire album), An Illustration of Loneliness (Sleepless in New York), and Depreston.

What music have you been listening to this month?

Bloglovin | YouTube | Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment